Monday, August 23, 2010

ice cream cake



birthday cakes need to be special, ya'll. it's a requirement in the world of birthdays and it's doubly important when you're celebrating your birthday in Mongolia.

in the week that was Hol's birthday celebration, we had a lot of cake. Kind of a ridiculous amount in fact. But this was my favorite one to make (and I didn't make all of them, thank goodness).

I tried to keep it a secret, but I'm not a good secret keeper and Hol is a very good secret guesser. So with a combination like that, she had it figured out pretty early on that I was making an ice cream cake.

It was my first attempt at an ice cream cake, so I was a bit nervous. Thankfully it was actually super easy- I made a basic vanilla cake, sliced it and put ice cream in between the layers. Then I frosted it with chocolate icing and added crumbled cookies on top. I was originally going to put cookie in between the layers as well, but it didn't end up happening as I had already frozen the cake again.

The end result? Not quite DQ, but a good summer birthday cake if I do say so myself.

1 comment: