Wednesday, June 8, 2011

some recent eats and a recipe

I am living in vegetable heaven over here in Nebraska. the farmer's markets are open, the weather is warm, the gardens are growing and I am enjoying a plethora of veggies in my kitchen.

living in Mongolia convinced me that recipes are a starting point and not an absolute. So these last few weeks I've been taking basic recipes and making do with what I have.

For example....

pumpkin soup! I can't remember where I got the recipe from, but it included lots of onions and milk and pumpkin. I used too much nutmeg trying to compensate for a lack of other spices, so it had a bit of a kick, but I liked it just the same.



Or my bok choy black bean veggie pizza that ended up being not nearly as weird as it sounds. I promise! It's just an even better version of vegetable pizza. Especially if you use this pizza crust recipe.

And last but not least, I once again attempted to make one of the Daily Garnish recipes. Except my version of her mexican quinoa dish had a few add-ons and substitutions.

Mine had tomatoes, green onions, green olives, green pepper, cucumber, black beans, an onion, an avocado and instead of lime juice, lemon juice.

Plus I discovered that you can sub plain yogurt for sour cream and it tastes just as good.

Here's to a summer of even more vegetable-filled recipes and experiments!

No comments:

Post a Comment