Friday, December 11, 2009

apfelkuchen

yet another fruit-themed cake- but this used up the last of the abundance of fruit we collected during Thanksgiving week, so perhaps we can go back to non-fruit themed desserts for a bit :-)



I'm not sure there's real consensus on what an apfelkuchen recipe looks like, as every time I've looked them up I've ended up using one that is different and produces a different result.

Above is a pre-baked picture of the cake- this recipe called for one layer of dough to be placed on the bottom of the pan, then half of the apples placed in the middle, another layer of dough and then the remaining apples on top.



Post-baking, pre-glaze. I think it would have been less lopsided in a bundt cake pan like the recipe called for, but alas there is no such pan in our Mongolian kitchen. This circle pan is it unless we want a loaf of cake via a foil loaf pan.



With vanilla glaze on top- this cake was less dense than the previous apple pound cake I made and didn't have any brown sugar in it.



apfelkuchen a la Mongolia- definitely different from the one I made about five years ago, which had sliced apples with lattice crust on top and was made on a long baking sheet. And it is for sure different from the apfelkuchen I had while in Munich in high school. Too bad I don't think I'll ever be able to duplicate that one.

Anyone know if there is a definitive apfelkuchen recipe that is THE recipe?

1 comment: