Thursday, April 8, 2010

the other lettuce

Cabbage! I know, I know- it's not really the other lettuce.

But I live in a country where basically the only vegetables you can get easily without paying an arm and a leg for them are carrots, potatoes, onions, bell peppers and....cabbage.


And I'll admit that I can't ever remember even eating it prior to about two weeks ago. If I were to buy a leafy green in the States it was consistently spinach.

But six months of being here had me finally wanting to try making something with cabbage. Combine that with the fact that our oven broke, leaving us only with the stove top and my desire to always consume more vegetables....and you have the cabbage, potato and chicken stove top casserole recipe that Hol found.

Which is to say that it included ingredients we didn't have and called for ham.

But we chopped and diced ourselves some onions and potatoes.

And then we did the same with some cabbage and chicken.

It was quite good and I'm always a fan of anything that allows me to combine chicken, potatoes and other veggies.

Since we've needed to be using this head of cabbage up we've also:

-steamed cabbage and put it with rice
-stir-fried cabbage with other veggies for an orange chicken recipe
-chopped it up and put it in baked vegetable spaghetti casserole

Any cabbage recipe suggestions from you all? So far we've mainly just thrown it in as an additional vegetable to already vegetable-filled recipes, but I'd be up for a cabbage-centric recipe if you know of any good ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment