Saturday, April 10, 2010

pancakes of all shapes and ingredients

We are equal opportunity pancake eaters in this household, so it is only fair that we would diversify our pancake consumption. A task which we have succeeded at quite well in the past few weeks. It is not hard to convince us to eat breakfast for any meal, at any time or basically ever.

Pancake variation # 1 was my attempt at German potato pancakes. I say attempt because this before picture doesn't reveal that I managed to forget the eggs that were supposed to be mixed with the rest of the ingredients. Opps. I got ahead of myself and wanted to start frying :- )


So these potato pancakes became more like potato pancake hash browns. Tis hard to know the difference I say, except that these were sans eggs in the batter and we made scrambled eggs to go with them on the side.


These were center stage hash browns with eggs playing the supporting role. Trust me when I say these were good. Because they totally were. And I now know one can easily forgo the frozen bags of hash browns for the real stuff.


Pancake variation #2- Cracker Barrel pancakes for Easter morning made with a recipe Holli found and that required our created-with-a-lemon buttermilk that she has become such a pro at making.

And when chocolate chips are not an option- walnuts and chopped up snicker bars. What Easter pancake shouldn't have mini snicker bars chopped up in it?


Pancake variation #3- Potato pancakes round 2. Except this time I ix-nayed the previous recipe in favor of a recipe called "Amish Hash Browns." Being a Western PA girl, I know the goodness of Amish food. And these called for corn meal! And I also couldn't help but throw in some red bell peppers for color and redeeming vegetable qualities.


A bell pepper version of Amish hash browns....so good.

I need to do some AllRecipes searching to discover what other pancake variations can come from our Mongolian kitchen :-) Breakfast is always a welcome meal at our house.

1 comment: